Growing Up Online – Parent Seminar
We invite you to our free seminar, ‘Growing up Online” with Susan McLean.
Susan McLean is Australia’s foremost expert in the area of Cybersafety and young people. She was the first Victorian Police Officer appointed to a position involving Cybersafety and young people. Susan took her first report of cyberbullying in 1994 and since then she has conducted extensive research and has completed advanced training and tertiary studies in both the USA and UK.
Susan is a sought after presenter and advisor to schools. She writes and reviews school policy and provides crisis management/ advice to schools. A sought after media commentator, she recently co-authored the NSW Govt. review into mobile phones in schools.
Susan is a member of the National Centre Against Bullying (NCAB), a Trusted Education Provider (Office of the eSafety Commissioner) and an ambassador for Collective Shout. A published author, her book ‘Sexts, Texts & Selfies’, is the definitive guide for parents, teachers and carers to help children stay safe online.
An educational and empowering session for Parents and Carers, Susan’s unparalleled knowledge leaves audiences shocked at the reality of the online world. It is a wake up call to even the most switched on parent and is delivered with Susan’s famous ‘no nonsense’ approach. The session will cover the positive benefits of technology as well as what parents need to be aware of:
• Reality and Risk. The reality of the online world. It’s not a matter of if – rather than when.
• What are kids doing online. Learn the latest apps and platforms your kids are either on, want to be on or are being told about at school.
• Online Grooming. What is it and when/how does it occur? What are the warning signs and what to do if you suspect this is happening to your child.
• Cyberbullying. What it is, where it happens, what it looks like, how to prevent and what to do if it occurs. Also the legal consequences and the possible criminal charges.
• Sharing Nudes. The taking and sending of explicit images.The social and emotional consequences as well as the Law.
• Problematic Gaming. How to manage digital devices in your home to avoid problems and what to do if/when they arise.
• Exposure to damaging content. Including online pornography and sites that encourage suicide, self harm and eating disorders.
• Top Tips. How to assist the children in your care to stay safe online with rules, parental controls and restriction passcodes.
The session will conclude with time for questions.