As a Kildare Ministries school in the Brigidine Tradition, we have a moral, mission-driven and legal responsibility to uphold and actively promote the wellbeing and safety of every student entrusted in our care. The safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all of our students will always be our first priority and is a paramount consideration in all decision making.
Kilbreda College is a Child Safe School. We do not and will not tolerate child abuse and are committed to the protection of all of our students from all forms of abuse. Our commitment to the protection of all students is enabled in a community that is nurturing, respectful and safe, where the uniqueness and sacred dignity of every student is celebrated. We aim to create a child-safe and child friendly environment where all of our students are free to enjoy life to the full without concern for their safety. There is particular attention paid to the most vulnerable students, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, students from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds and students with a disability.
Our Commitment to Child Safety
• Has a zero tolerance for child abuse;
• Actively works to listen to and empower all students;
• Openly communicates with its families and supports them to promote the wellbeing and safety of their children;
• Supports and develops its staff in their roles to educate, care for and protect all students;
• Establishes child-safe relationships within its community;
• Has systems to protect students from abuse, and will take all allegations and concerns very seriously and respond to them, consistently, in line with the College’s policies and procedures;
• Is committed to promoting physical, emotional and cultural safety for all students;
• Regards its child protection responsibilities with the utmost importance and as such, is committed to providing the necessary resources to ensure compliance with all relevant child protection laws and regulations and maintain a child safe culture.
Protecting our Young People
Everyone working at Kilbreda College is responsible for the care and protection of all students and the prevention and detection of child abuse. As such, all members of staff must familiarise themselves with relevant laws and the College’s Child Safety Program and comply with all requirements.
The College’s Child Safety Program demonstrates the school’s commitment to the Victorian Child Safe Standards. It sets out the policies, procedures and workplace systems that have been designed to maintain and embed an organisational culture of child safety within the school community. Key pillars of the College’s Child Safety Program are the Child Protection and Safety Policy and Child Safety Code of Conduct. These documents, along with the College’s responding to allegations of abuse procedures provide a high-level statement of professional boundaries and ethical behaviour, as well acceptable and unacceptable relationships. They also set out detailed procedures for any member of our community to follow to report concerns they may have around child safety and how Kilbreda will respond to these reports.
These documents are made available to all staff, students, families, volunteers, contractors, suppliers and the wider community and are provided below: